According to the Williams Institute, up to 40% of homeless youth served by agencies and drop-in centers identify as LGBTQ+. The most cited reasons for this level of homelessness is discrimination and family rejection.
My child identifies as LGBTQ+ and I cannot fathom kicking them out on the street simply because I was unwilling to accept the way they were created. It is heartbreaking. Being homeless as a teenager or young adult must be terrifying and many people The Circle serves have lived through very traumatic events. My own experience as an ally hearing the stories of people in the LGBTQ+ community has been an education in surviving traumatic experiences with grace, dignity and humor. They truly know how to laugh through the pain.
Read the Rest of this Episode on Kindle Vella.
Grab 200 Free Tokens to Unlock the Episode Here:
Click the key in the upper right hand corner. They are giving away 200 tokens free. Each episode will cost about 10 tokens, so you will get to read the first 20 episodes free.
Ways You Can Help
Donate Direct to The Circle.
- Give this story a thumbs up on Kindle Vella.
- Follow this serial on Kindle Vella.
- Share this serial on all your social media sites.
- Donate via venmo @thefunologist Ninya Blair Bryan. We'll add your donation to increase the number of recipients for the next act of kindness and give you a shout out in the next episode.
- Repeat one of the nudges in your own community and share it on social tagging @tealbutterflypress so we can follow you!